Monday, March 19, 2012

20 Weeks 3 Days - Fatigue and Marginal Placenta Previa

The fatigue from this pregnancy is absolutely insane. Today I hit the snooze button three times without realizing it. At work, I couldn't even get my eyes to focus on my computer screen. Like they literally wouldn't do it. It was crazy. And this was after 7 1/2 hours of sleep last night. Phew.

Otherwise the pregnancy has been great. I do have a lot of foot pain, and I had that one day of lower back pain, but other than that there really haven't been many issues.

The one thing that isn't so great is a minor complication I haven't mentioned yet but have known about since the last ultrasound. When the tech was performing the ultrasound, I asked her about the location of my placenta. She told me it was low. To which I said, "How low??" because I've done (probably too much) reading. Apparently it's right on the edge of my cervix. The tech told me I didn't have placenta previa, so don't go home and read about it. But of course I did.  (Look it up on Google.  Not the most comforting thing to read.)  I still didn't really get alarmed, though, because she told me not to.

I received a voice mail from the doctor the next day, informing me that I had marginal placenta previa and so I would need to have another ultrasound at 28 weeks.  This didn't shock me, because the tech had given me the same information.  Apparently the placenta often moves up and away from the cervix by this point.  I figured that's fine and dandy, I don't mind seeing our little boy another time. :)

Then came today's news.  I had my 20-week checkup with the doctor (actually it was the nurse practitioner).  And she informed me that I'm on limited bedroom activity until the next ultrasound.  Eight weeks from now.  I just stared at her, dumbfounded.  It made the whole thing seem a bit more serious than I was expecting.  Oooooooook...

But other than that bit of news, the doc appointment went well.  My uterus reaches to the top of my belly button.  I've gained 11 pounds.  Baby had a healthy heartbeat around 160 bpm and was moving all around, so much so that she had a hard time listening to his heartbeat for longer than 2 seconds at a time.

So I'm just going to focus on the good news (little pain or complaints this pregnancy, healthy baby) and send up some prayers about the not-great news (marginal placenta previa).  I know the chances are that everything will be just fine, and God's got this in His hands. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment