24 weeks 4 days
Granted, I have a dress on that accents my bump a lot more than a t-shirt, but my belly looks HUGE for 24 1/2 weeks.
I also had a
He said something along the lines of, "I know this is an emotional topic..." and then he looked at me and said, "And I can see you're getting emotional now..."
And at that moment the floodgates opened and I lost it. I sobbed out, "Dr. Gausmann said I could have medication!!" and the tears were pouring down my face. He grabbed some tissues and came quickly over, placing his hand on my knee while I bawled my eyes out. "I was borderline suicidal," I stammered out, "I can't go through that again with my son. It was the worst experience of my life." He replied, "So you were pretty sick," and I nodded, crying and staring down at the floor. He asked if I'd gotten psychiatric care, and I said no, and he said, "So you pulled yourself out of it," and I nodded. He asked how long I'd taken medication and I said I'd taken myself off of it after six months. Then he said very kindly, "Look, if you think you need the medication, then we'll let you have it. You don't need to worry, you can take meds if you think it's important. Just realize that this pregnancy isn't necessarily going to be as bad as your last one, and you may not have the same experience." I just nodded and squeaked out an "Ok" the best I could. I could tell he felt really bad and realized he'd spoken before understanding my full situation.
After he left the room, it took everything in me to dry my eyes enough to check out. And then as soon as I left the office the tears started pouring again. I couldn't stop crying. I just kept flashing back to the pain, the guilt. Every time I think about the way I felt toward Krew during my depression, I am filled with such incredible mommy guilt that it's all I can do not to be sick to my stomach. And to think of the possibility of feeling that way again, now that Krew is older and would understand that mommy was acting weird toward him - it's too much for me to handle. The pain and depression I'm not scared of. But not feeling my motherly love toward Krew or my next son, and having Krew notice that? The thought is unbearable.
The whole way to work after the appointment I prayed to God. Prayed that He would protect me, that He would protect Krew. That He would give me the medication I need. That if I do get depressed, He would fill in where I fall short. That He would prevent Krew from understanding or noticing if I act weird. That I would return to my old self quickly should depression hit.
It's terrifying to me to think that my whole personality could change after this baby is born. Because that's definitely what happened after Krew's birth. And it happened quickly. Within a week. I just have to pray, pray, pray, and do everything possible to make sure the doctors will allow me to take preventative medication to alleviate anything that may happen. I'm going to make sure I get to talk to Dr. Gausmann another time before this baby is born to ensure she's directed in my chart to start me on Zoloft. The meeting with the doctor yesterday confirmed that I made the right decision in staying with the OB-GYN office with the doctor who knows my postpartum depression history. What would I have done if I was at another office where I couldn't pull the "Dr. Gausmann said so" card?
Anyway...that was the drama for this week. If you think about it, please keep me in your prayers as it gets closer to time to have this baby. I am so, so, SO excited to have him join our family, but after my appointment yesterday I must admit I'm a little scared. :(
(If you'd like to read about my postpartum depression experience, you can check out my blog post here: http://www.just1step.com/2011/05/postpartum-depression-my-take.html.)

Oh Kara, I'm sorry! I'll pray that they let you start the medication right away. And oh my goodness, you look so cute! Your bump is adorable!
ReplyDeleteKara, thanks for posting this link in my blog, I didn't see this one come up on my blog list. I knew you struggled w/ postpartum depression and I can understand your fear for this time around! Praying for you...praying you won't even need the meds..but if you do that they will provide them for you! I really hope this time is better for you!
ReplyDeletethe emotions can be so scary and overwhelming, know you aren't alone!
Also..thought it was funny how you were saying you are measuring smaller this time around. I did too. I always measured larger than I should have w/ Ryan and Molly and always smaller w/ Henry..I mean by a few weeks smaller...and funny thing is...he was my LARGEST baby! Not sure where he was hiding :) I think you look amazingly adorable and ALL belly!!!
Praying for you Kara!